Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Doing Business With Ben...

(If I sent you this link it doesn't mean I am accusing you of anything.  Take this in the spirit it was intended.  To improve our current or future business relationship.)

People who know me call me "laid back".  I am VERY easy going.  I rarely get upset. I'm a happy guy.

In business however I am a bit different.  I have expectations.  Reasonable expectations.

Somewhere it has become "ok" to take days or even weeks to return messages.  It's become OK to make promises and under deliver.  Or not deliver at all.

I understand that many of the people I work with are young.  Carefree.  I applaud that.  But in business... you must be anything but "carefree".  It is "care" that you must take.  And take it seriously.

If you want to work with Benjamin Parrish Cook here are a few rules you must follow.  If you can't follow them.  Please... in all earnestness... speak up before a business relationship is formed.

1.  Messages must be returned in 48 or less.  If you don't have access to your messages to meet this basic obligation inform me ahead of time exceptions can be made. Oh... and we are all busy.
2.  If you commit to a project or deadline... see it though.
3.  I view photography as an art.  An art that I am very lucky I can make some money from.  That... makes it a business.  I require people who I work with to treat their interaction with me as a business as well.  You can go back to treating it like a hobby or something "fun to do" after we have concluded our business.
4.  If you decide after we have initiated a business relationship that working with me is no longer in your interests, please inform me.  Stopping all contact isn't telling me.  It's leaving me wondering if you are dead, kidnapped, angry, crazy or just plain old unprofessional.
5.  As time for us to work together approaches... I will likely contact you many many times.  It's not that I can't stand to go a day without messaging you.  It's that I am feeling-out one last time your intent to provide the services you agreed to.  Make-up.  Hair.  Modeling.  Web Hosting... whatever... I need you to indulge me these last minute panic attacks.

I swear I'm a nice guy.  I am funny.  I'm kind.  I look forward to working with you.  But I require professional behavior.  Being 18 and "model-hot" might excuse some behavior... but it never excuses unprofessional.

I'm not perfect.  I will get you your photos late.  I will forget to bring the release.  I have things come up in my life as well.  I'm not asking you to be perfect if you work with me.  I'm asking you to only be mindful of my list of 5 things.  Don't establish a pattern of late emails or always having a delay in what you say you can provide... and when you provide it.

I'm ONLY asking you to treat your interaction with me as a business.

I look forward to working with you or continuing the relationship we already have.

Kind Regards,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment